2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Medical Office Professions - Health Insurance Coding and Claims Specialist - Advanced Certificate
Program Code: CBA.35286
The efficiency of a medical office and the quality of medical care provided depend in large part upon the staff members who supplement and support the role of the physician. As a medical office staff member, you must have strong communication skills, organizational ability, computer knowledge, and excellent human relations skills.
Health insurance coding and claims specialists accurately report physician services for reimbursement to patients' insurance companies. They are also required to understand the legal responsibilities of medical office staff members.
This certificate has a common core of classes that is also required for the Medical Administrative Assistant Associate in Business Studies Degree. Those core classes include BIO 101W , HSC 105 , HSC 205W , HSC 210 , OAT 105W , and OAT 151 .
Total Semester Credits: 16
Total Semester Credits: 8
Total Semester Credits: 3
Total Semester Credits: 3
- A grade of “C” (2.0) or higher is required in the following courses: BIO 101W , HSC 105 , OAT 151 , OAT 171 , OAT 243 , OAT 244 , OAT 254 , and OAT 255 .
- BIO 101W , HSC 105 , HSC 205W , OAT 171 , OAT 243 , OAT 244 , OAT 254 , and OAT 255 are Key courses and must be completed within 5 years of completing certificate. Failure to complete within the stated time frame will require you to repeat this course. See Graduation Requirements .
- OAT 170 with a “B” grade or better is a prerequisite for OAT 171 . Keyboarding waiver test is available for OAT 170 . Contact the BIT Division office, 989-686-9127, to arrange for waiver test.
- Credit by exam is available for OAT 151 , OAT 171 , OAT 243 , and OAT 244 . Contact the Assessment Testing office, 989-686-9182, to arrange for credit by exam test.
- HSC 105 and one of the following: BIO 101W , BIO 131, BIO 132, BIO 140W , BIO 152W , BIO 153W , BIO 160, or BIO 240 , both with a minimum grade of “C” (2.0) are prerequisites for HSC 210 .
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Undergraduate certificate in Health Insurance Coding & Claims Specialist- Adv Cert
Program Length: 1 year
Students graduating on time
65% of Title IV students complete the program within 1 year1
$4,996 for in-state tuition and fees
$7,933 for out-of-state tuition and fees
$1,500 for books and supplies
$4,122 for off-campus room and board
No other costs provided.
Visit website for more program cost information
*The amounts shown above include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion.
Note that this information is subject to change.
Students Borrowing Money
40% of students who attend this program borrow money to pay for it2
The typical graduate leaves with
$0 in debt3
The typical monthly loan payment
$0 per month in student loans with 6.8% interest rate4.
The typical graduate earns
$20,109 per year after leaving this program5
Graduates who got jobs
52% of program graduates got jobs according to the state job placement rate7
Program graduates are employed in the following fields:
Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
There are no licensure requirements for this profession in:
No additional notes provided.
Date Created: 6/15/2017
These disclosures are required by the U.S. Department of Education
The share of students who completed the program within 100% of normal time (1 year).
The share of students who borrowed Federal, private, and/or institutional loans to help pay for college.
The median debt of borrowers who completed this program. This debt includes federal, private, and institutional loans.
The median monthly loan payment for students who completed this program if it were repaid over ten years at a 6.8% interest rate.
The median earnings of program graduates who received Federal aid.
Some States require students to graduate from a state approved program in order to obtain a license to practice a profession in those States.
State Job Placement Rate:
Name of the state this placement rate is calculated for:
Follow the link below to find out who is included in the calculation of this rate:
What types of jobs were these students placed in?
The job placement rate includes completers hired for: Any jobs
Positions that recent completers were hired for include: n/a
When were the former students employed?
This rate is based on program completers who were already employed or within six months of completion
How were completers tracked?
Graduation application survey and follow up survey
Accreditor Job Placement Rate: N/A