Jun 02, 2023  
2022 - 2023 Catalog 
2022 - 2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Child Development - AAA

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Division

Program Code: AAA.25762

Child development teachers work in a variety of settings providing care and guidance of young children. This includes concern for the mental, social, physical, and emotional growth and development of the child. As a child development teacher, you should be able to work under supervision and work cooperatively with other personnel. Each employee should gain the respect, confidence, and cooperation of children, maintain discipline, and enforce as well as deal with emergency situations calmly. Physically, you must maintain good health and be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Good vision and hearing are necessary as well as being able to lift up to 40 pounds. Applicants for child development positions are to be free of communicable diseases including a negative TB test. A criminal background check as well as a Public Sex Offender Registry clearance is required among other paperwork.

Students learn supportive skills needed for positions as assistant teachers or teachers in early childhood education and care programs. The Associate in Applied Arts degree program will also stress leadership skills that are needed in a director position. Graduates of this degree program will also be qualified to apply for positions as lead teachers and center directors as well as apply for a license for their own child care business.

The curriculum for this program is aligned with the standards issued by the National Association for the Education of Young Children

Fall First Year:

Total Semester Credits: 17

Total Semester Credits: 13

Spring First Year:

Total Semester Credits: 7

Total Semester Credits: 14

Winter Second Year:

Total Semester Credits: 16

Total Credits: 67


  1. CD 110W , CD 111W , CD 113W , CD 115W  are Key courses and must be completed within 5 year of completing degree. Failure to complete within the stated time frame will require you to repeat this course. See Graduation Requirements .
  2. A grade of “C” (2.0) or higher is required in CD 110W , CD 111W , CD 112W , CD 113W , CD 115W , CD 116W , CD 117W , CD 210W , ED 201W , LWT 165 , PSY 211W , and PSY 223W .
  3. CD 111W  and CD 115W  may be articulated if the student has earned a CDA credential (Center-based Preschool and Family Child Care CDAs), an elementary education degree or a high school career-technical certificate. CD 110W  and CD 111W  may be articulated if the student has earned a Centerbased Infant Toddler CDA credential. Articulated credits will not count towards DHS requirements for a director using a CDA certificate. The 18 required credits for a child care director must be regular classes with a grade for credit.
  4. All CD 110W CD 113W , CD 115W , and CD 117W  students must complete the following and submit the appropriate documentation to the program coordinator including: 1) Criminal background check; 2) Public Sex Offender Registry clearance; 3) Employment and volunteer contract Practicum Agreement and other documents as required by the program. Additionally, CD 115W , and CD 117W  students must submit evidence of freedom from communicable tuberculosis via a TB skin test.
  5.  CD 110W  and CD 113W , each require 30 hours of volunteer work at a licensed childcare program. CD 115W  requires 90 hours. CD 117W  requires 150 hours of teaching in a licensed Head Start, Great Start Readiness, or Kindergarten classroom . More specific practicum information will be provided by the program faculty.
  6. Current First Aid and CPR certification (LWT 165 ) is required to enroll in CD 210W ..
  7. Humanities Electives are required in two different subject areas. Suggested Humanities Electives if transferring to a university: COM 112W  and ENG 251W .
  8. Natural Science electives credit in two different areas would be particularly useful for transferring to a 4-year school and is required in the fulfillment of the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). If you are planning on transferring you may also wish to take a Math course (MTH 118W  or higher, excluding MTH 119W  and MTH 153 ). For questions or more information, please see the Academic Advising office. Check with your transfer institution for optimum choices.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Division