Feb 06, 2023
WRT 098 - Preparation for College WritingCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Provides those who are not yet prepared for academic work in the regular composition sequence (ENG 111A , ENG 111 , ENG 112 or OAT 150, OAT 151 , OAT 152 ) with opportunity to improve their writing skills in an interactive and collaborative setting. Includes practice with personal and academic writing. Does not earn credit for graduation. Credit may be earned in ENG 098 or WRT 098 but not both.
Prerequisite(s): WRITING LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Use a writing process for pre-college and college essays at the intermediate level.
- Plan and brainstorm ideas for an essay before beginning to write.
- Produce drafts of an essay and show an understanding of revision.
- Participate effectively in writing groups and conferences.
- Demonstrate an ability to work with written comments.
- Produce edited, properly formatted essays.
- Write intermediate college-level essays.
- Use introductions, conclusions, and paragraphs.
- Write essays that demonstrate a sense of organization.
- Use topic sentences.
- Use transitions between sentences and paragraphs.
- Write at least two essays with a clear thesis.
- Develop abilities with the more complex aspects of an essay.
- Demonstrate ability to develop significant ideas and use supportive, specific examples.
- Write essays that lack confusion.
- Write essays that demonstrate an awareness of audience.
- Reduce number of errors in grammar and punctuation.
- Produce written responses to and understand texts at the intermediate level.
- Demonstrate ability, both orally and in writing, to make personal connections to the ideas in a piece of reading.
- Demonstrate an ability to negotiate unfamiliar vocabulary, as well as make new words a part of one's own vocabulary.
- Demonstrate intermediate skills for information literacy, including accessing, analyzing, and using resources such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, and the Internet.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)