Jan 28, 2023
NUR 240W - Basic Nursing Care of the Adult ClientCredits: 4.7
Instructional Contact Hours: 5
Facilitates learning opportunities in the areas of cardiopulmonary, endocrine, gastroenterology, hematology, musculoskeletal, nephrology, neurology and reproductive systems in the adult with emphasis on critical thinking in basic to complex nursing care. This theory course has a concurrent lab course.
Prerequisite(s): NUR 115W , NUR 116W , NUR 119W , NUR 115LW , NUR 116LW and NUR 119LW or NPT 115W , NUR 115LW , NPT 116W and NPT 116LW with minimum grade of a "C"
Corequisite(s): NUR 240LW , FEE 902
Lecture Hours: 70 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, and Spirit of Inquiry while developing Professional Identity as an ADN to improve the quality of care for patients, families, and communities.
- Analyze potential consequences for patients when applying the ethical decision-making process.
- Analyze information and applies agency policies and procedures in plan of care.
- Organize and collaborate with the patient to provide health care that incorporates diverse values/practices.
- Use and evaluate knowledge of holistic influences when providing care in adult medical-surgical patients.
- Examine and apply nursing literature in clinical decision making.
- Analyze and interpret assessment data to formulate priority nursing diagnoses for adult medical-surgical patients with complex needs.
- Implement individualized plan of care with short- and long-term goals and constructs adjustments to plan.
- Evaluate goals and revise plan of care.
- Develop and implement individualized patient-centered teaching, applying teaching/learning principles based on patient's strengths and barriers.
- Maintain professional nursing behaviors.
- Value contributions of standardization and reliability for quality and safety
- Administer and evaluate enteral, topical, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous medications with the required supervision, adhering to Medication Administration Assessment Tool.
- Utilize therapeutic communication to promote relationship-centered care while maintaining confidentiality.
- Determine need for patient advocacy and proposes strategies to help patients make informed decisions.
- Identify components of delegation in clinical situations, and delegates appropriately with RN supervision.
- Collaborate with peers and other members of the health care team to achieve quality patient care.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)