Oct 03, 2023
CAD 226 - 3D Parametric Solid ModelingCredits: 3
Develops skills in the use of 3D parametric solid modeling software. Converts solid models to 2D multi-view drawings and generates assembly and animation files. Culminates in Rapid Prototyping project and final presentation.
Prerequisite(s): CST 103 recommended or basic knowledge of the Windows Operating System
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Use reading and writing skills to gather information from technical texts.
- Complete assignments by gathering information from reading.
- Use reading strategies to disseminate and organize information.
- Create a notebook as an essential reference.
- Record sufficient notes from which to work independently.
- Use a computer, a current operating system, and word processing software.
- Start and exit software as required and name files as prescribed.
- Demonstrate the correct handling and operation of storage media.
- Format and label two 100MB or 250 MB zip disks.
- Demonstrate proper file management and backup procedures.
- Use a word processing program for all written assignments.
- Develop effective sketch mode abilities.
- Use the sketching environment and interpret the sketch commands to create a rough sketch of the model.
- Add parameters in the form of dimensions and constraints.
- Set values for the dimensions.
- Use higher level drawing to produce a 3D model from the sketch using basic parametric modeling techniques.
- Use navigational tools such as Rotate, Pan, and Zoom in the modeling mode.
- Create user-defined work planes.
- Create 3D models using Extrude, Revolve, Loft, Sweep, and Coil features.
- Modify the 3D solid using Cut, Fillet, Chamfer, and Shell features.
- Use Boolean editing features to modify 3D solid models.
- Add materials to 3D solid models.
- Analyze the shape of the model and determine which method(s) of producing 3D objects and which Boolean operations are necessary for the completion of the model.
- Produce other types of working drawings.
- Generate multi-view working drawings from a 3D solid model.
- Produce working assembly drawings using 3D solid composite models.
- Develop animated presentation drawing files from 3D composite assembly files.
- Generate a stereo lithography file and 3D printed part.
- Convert 3D solid model to a stereo lithography file.
- Use 3D printer interface software to create 3D Printer file.
- Create 3D plastic part.
- Prepare a visual presentation to be used as an electronic resume.
- Use presentation software effectively.
- Access, analyze, and use gathered information for an electronic presentation.
- Develop comprehensive presentation that shows ability in several CAD modes.
- Add pertinent information needed for a professional resume.
- Demonstrate productive interactions with others.
- Practice citizenship by respecting each person's drawing files as their personal property.
- Ask and respond to questions during drawing demonstrations.
- Display a willingness to help classmates.
- Demonstrate employability, interpersonal, teamwork, and leadership skills necessary to function in a multicultural business setting.
- Use effective listening skills during classroom demonstrations.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)