May 20, 2022
OAT 172 - Document Processing: IntermediateCredits: 3
Studies the efficient use of MS Word for the production of complex business correspondence, reports, and tables. Introduces the use of appropriate punctuation in business documents. Increases speed and accuracy on the computer keyboard.
Prerequisite(s): OAT 171 or with a “C” (2.0) grade minimum.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Develop further the efficient use of the computer.
- Operate the keyboard by touch with increased speed and accuracy.
- Operate the equipment efficiently.
- Use software functions efficiently.
- Increase speed and accuracy on the computer keyboard.
- Complete assigned exercises using skillbuilding software to increase entry-level keyboarding speed at least 6 wpm.
- Complete five-minute timings at a rate of at least 40 wpm with no more than five errors.
- Demonstrate mastery of the MS Word features needed to format complex business correspondence, reports, and tables.
- Review MS Word features covered in OAT 171 .
- Create, use, and delete folders; copy and paste documents into folders.
- Place path and file name on documents using the Insert feature.
- Use nonbreaking hyphens and optional hyphens for appropriate word division.
- Use nonbreaking spaces for appropriate word group division.
- Select landscape paper size.
- Format and print on letterhead and envelopes.
- Select and print to specific printers.
- Use the sort feature.
- Use the find and replace feature.
- Use serif and sans serif fonts.
- Adjust the font size and typeface on envelopes, page numbers, headers, footers, endnotes, and footnotes to match the source document font.
- Create and edit headers and footers.
- Adjust the header and footer margin.
- Create and edit footnotes and endnotes.
- Adjust page numbering when title pages are part of the document.
- Insert page breaks and section breaks appropriately to format different parts of a report.
- Use appropriate tab types and the visual alignment method to create columnar information.
- Use the table feature and be able to insert and delete columns and rows; join and split cells; format lines, borders, and shading; change table alignment; change text direction; and repeat table heading row.
- Use the table feature to create side-by-side columns for documents such as minutes of meetings and itineraries.
- Demonstrate mastery of the formatting of complex business correspondence, tables, and report styles.
- Use critical thinking skills to complete homework assignments that require application of current formatting models to the production of mailable letters, memos, tables, and reports.
- Use critical thinking skills to complete performance tests that require application of current formatting models to the production of mailable letters, memos, tables, and reports within a specified period of time.
- Recognize and apply correct punctuation on business documents.
- Learn and apply standard rules of punctuation to assigned homework documents.
- Apply standard punctuation to the production of mailable test documents.
- Demonstrate efficient work habits.
- Attend class promptly and consistently.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Meet established deadlines for homework projects.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)