Aug 08, 2022
NUR 115LW - Maternity Nursing LabCredits: 1
Provides clinical opportunities to apply the ADN competencies of Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, Professional IdentiTy and Spirit of Inquiry while providing nursing care for women and newborns in selected maternity health care settings. For successful completion, a grade of at least a “C” must be earned in this course and concurrent theory course NUR 115W (lab grade will be the same as theory grade). Credit may be earned in only one of NUR 115LW, NPT 115LW or NT 215LW .
Prerequisite(s): NUR 101BW , NUR 101BLW with a minimum grade of “C” (2.0).
Corequisite(s): NUR 115W , NUR 116W , NUR 116LW , NUR 119W , and NUR 119LW , FEE 902
Lecture Hours: 0 Lab Hours: 45
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, and Spirit of Inquiry while developing Professional Identity as an ADN to improve the quality of care for patients, families, and communities.
- Apply ethical and legal guidelines to maternity health care and communications concerns regarding ethical dilemmas of maternity patients to appropriate personnel.
- Recognize significant information, seeks clarification in the policy and procedure manuals and adds to plan of care.
- Identify diverse practices influencing health care outcomes from maternity patients.
- Use knowledge of holistic influences when providing care to maternity patients and their families.
- Interpret nursing literature for usefulness in care of maternity patients.
- Analyze and interpret assessment data to select priority nursing diagnoses for maternity patients.
- Develop an individualized plan of care with realistic and measurable goals, implements plan of care, and makes adjustments after consulting with instructor.
- Evaluate goals and revise plan of care with the input of instructor.
- Identify and demonstrate patient centered teaching, applying teaching/learning principles to maternity patients.
- Explain and demonstrate professional nursing behaviors.
- Participate as a team member to design, promote and model effective use of technology and standardized practices that support safety and quality.
- Administer and evaluate enteral, topical, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous medications to maternity patients with required supervision, adhering to Medication Administration Assessment Tool.
- Adapt therapeutic communication techniques while caring for maternity patients and support systems in a confidential manner.
- Identify situations where patient advocacy may be indicated and suggests appropriate nursing interventions.
- Recognize and follow through with delegated tasks.
- Using a problem-solving approach, communicate to peers and other members of the health care team regarding the care of maternity patients.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)