Aug 15, 2022
MUS 112 - Music Appreciation IICredits: 3
Continued study of instrumental music (concerto small ensemble). Promotes an understanding of and for vocal forms (Opera, art, song, large choral work, i.e., oratorios, masses).
Prerequisite(s): MUS 111 or permission of instructor
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the creative principles of music.
- Review the elements of music (Melody, Harmony, Form, Color, and Rhythm)
- Describe and define creativity
- Principle of 3 tenses of music
- Principle of balance in creativity
- Principles of process in the arts
- Principles of mood
- Principle of focus of musical ideas
- Principle of the many purposes of music
- Principle of humor in music
- Principle of “Art for the Heart”
- Principles of creative listening
- Principles of hearing and singing mechanisms
- Identify the major composers and stylistic features of Western music.
- Identify textures, and cultural background of:
- The Middle Ages
- The Renaissance
- The Baroque Period
- The Viennese Classical Period
- The Romantic Period
- The Twentieth Century
- Know the major composers from each of the above periods
- Analyze, outline, and discuss major compositions for their design and their social impacts.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)