Jun 25, 2022
MUS 103 - Music CompositionCredits: 3
Explains fundamentals of composition, including notation, melodic construction, melodic dictation, functional harmony, basic music theory and analysis. Uses knowledge of fundamentals to create a musical composition.
Prerequisite(s): MUS 100
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Manipulate pitch and rhythm as they relate to the construction of melodic content.
- Construct basic melodic motives utilizing varying pitch degrees (scaler and intervallic).
- Construct intermediate melodic sentences by combining motivic ideas.
- Read, write, and perform basic melodic ideas.
- Show comprehension by demonstrating various basic melodies in their construction and content.
- Compare and contrast melodic ideas with respect to meters, modes, and melodic contour.
- Develop a comprehensive analysis of functional melody and harmony.
- Explore various compositions and provide a brief harmonic and melodic analysis.
- Employ analytical techniques to create a musical composition.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)