Jun 26, 2022
MTH 209W - StatisticsCredits: 4
Studies statistical concepts including frequency distributions, measures of central tendency and dispersion, probability, confidence intervals, hypotheses testing, linear correlation and regression, chi-square, ANOVA, non-parametric tests.
Prerequisite(s): MATH LEVEL 6 or MTH 098 or MTH 118W or MTH 119W or MTH 119AW with a C or better or two years of high school algebra
Lecture Hours: 60 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Calculate, describe, and apply each of the standard measures of descriptive statistics.
- Calculate, describe, and apply measures of center (mean, median, mode).
- Calculate, describe, and apply measures of variation (standard deviation, variance range).
- Calculate, describe, and apply percentiles.
- Calculate, describe, and apply graphs (frequency distributions, histograms, stem and leaf plots, box and whisker plots).
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic concepts and principles essential to statistical inference.
- Identify different methods of data collection.
- Calculate and describe basic probability.
- Calculate probability using the binomial distribution, the normal distribution, and the central limit theorem.
- Use correlation and regression to describe relationships between numerical variables.
- Calculate confidence intervals to estimate population averages and proportions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the logic of statistical inference.
- Manually perform all of the steps of a hypothesis test for a claim about the population mean. Students will demonstrate their understanding of the significant level of a test and the use of p-values in statistical software.
- Determine the appropriate test statistic and make inferences for a variety of models, including single sample mean (large and small sample), proportion and variance, two sample mean and proportion, Chi Square and ANOVA.
- Determine the appropriate non-parametric test statistic and make inferences for a variety of models, including sign test, Wilcoxon Signed-Rank test for Matched pairs, Kruskal-Wallis Test and Rank Correlation
- Communicate an understanding of statistical concepts in writing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a statistical computer software package.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)