Aug 15, 2022
MTH 090 - Math Study Skills and Practical ApplicationsCredits: 2
Practices success strategies to be utilized in a math class. Includes learning styles, memory process, math anxiety, time management, reading, test taking, as well as other study skills. Applies success strategies to their current math class as well as collaborative problem solving using quantitative literacy applications from many other disciplines. Does not earn credit toward graduation.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrent enrollment in a math course is required.
Lecture Hours: 30 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Distinguish that learning mathematics is different than any other subject.
- Identify the differences between learning mathematics and various others topics.
- Distinguish between taking high school mathematics and college mathematics.
- Identify the difference between the two learning enviornments.
- Identify learning styles and appropriate study skills for that learning style.
- Take a learning styles inventory.
- Identify the techniques that fit that style.
- Develop an understanding of the memory process.
- Introduce stages of learning.
- Apply reasoning in learning.
- 4C. Use learning style to enhance memory process.
- Develop the study skill of number sense.
- Use estimation of sums, differences, products, quotients, etc. to judge reasonableness of answers.
- Develop the study skill of metacognition.
- Develop a plan for addressing a problem.
- Learn how to monitor the process.
- Learn how to evaluate the appropriateness of the answer.
- Develop skills to reduce math anxiety and math test anxiety.
- Learn the definition of math anxiety and math test anxiety.
- Learn the causes of math anxiety and math test anxiety.
- Learn the different types of math anxiety and math test anxiety.
- Learn the affects of math anxiety and math test anxiety.
- Learn techniques of how to reduce math anxiety and math test anxiety.
- Prioritize their time.
- Learn to schedule time for mathematics daily.
- Learn to schedule so there is a balance of life.
- Create a positive study environment.
- Select an appropriate environment for study base on his/her learning style.
- Learn techniques to maximize learning efficiency.
- Develop active note taking and listening skills.
- Learn about the golden triangle of success.
- Learn the importance of correct note taking and how to effectively take notes.
- Learn the importance of asking questions in class.
- Improve homework skills and math reading skills.
- Learn the importance of pre-reading.
- Learn how to read mathematics.
- Learn to define all symbols for full comprehension.
- Learn and utilize the vocabulary of mathematics.
- Improve test-taking skills.
- Learn rules for pretest preparation.
- Learn 10 steps for better test taking.
- Learn 6 common errors while taking tests.
- Apply the above mentioned study skills to the math class they will be taking concurrently.
- Apply quantitative literacy skills in a collaborative, problem solving environment, to problems involving mathematics in other disciplines.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)