Aug 08, 2022
LWA 122 - Fencing ICredits: 1
Introduces foil fencing, its basic fundamentals, techniques, rules, and safety measures. Credit may be earned in one of the following ONLY: LWA 122, LW 122, LW 201, or LEA 201.
Lecture Hours: 0 Lab Hours: 30
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Describe and explain the concepts and components of Fencing I.
- Describe the history of the sport of fencing.
- Describe the fundamental purpose of the sport of fencing.
- Describe and explain the rules for the sport of fencing.
- Describe and explain the rules of etiquette for the sport of fencing.
- Describe and explain the safety rules for the sport of fencing.
- List the mental and social benefits of the sport of fencing.
- Describe and explain the fundamental differences between a Foil, Epee, and Saber and the scoring targets of each.
- Define the following fencing terms:
- Absence of blade
- Change of Engagement
- On Guard
- Right of Way
- Describe the fitness benefits of participating in the sport of fencing.
- Identify personal health risks through physical and written assessment.
- Develop a personal wellness plan to enhance current health or to decrease current health risks as they relate to chronic disease.
- Demonstrate the concepts and components of Fencing.
- Demonstrate the following basic skills of the sport of fencing:
- The ?On Guard? position
- Proper holding of the foil
- The Salute
- Advance and retreat footwork
- The Thrust
- The Lunge
- Parries (4,6, 7, & 8)
- A Ballestra
- A Fleche
- Demonstrate simple attacks.
- Demonstrate simple parries.
- Demonstrate the proper procedures necessary to begin and finish a fencing match.
- Demonstrate the proper care and handling of the fencing equipment.
- Demonstrate the proper application of fencing rules during a match.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fitness and wellness research and concepts as they directly relate to quality and quantity of life.
- Demonstrate and practice safe and effective techniques of fitness and wellness activities.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)