Sep 25, 2022
IHU 101 - Humanities Through the ArtsCredits: 3
A survey of the human condition as seen through film, dramas, music, literature, painting, sculpture, and architecture with an emphasis on the history, techniques, meaning, and evaluation of individual works of western art.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Understand the historical influences of political, cultural, and scientific values upon art.
- Develop reading and writing abilities by mastering course materials from the textbook and answering study questions, essay questions, and writing a term paper.
- Gain knowledge of the basic elements and tools an artist uses to create a work of art
- Develop critical thinking skills by engaging in both evaluative and descriptive criticism of major works of art.
- Become aware of the different ways of “seeing” and interpreting a work of art.
- Access, analyze and use information using current computer technology by completing an informational review of major artists and their works.
- Appreciate the process of criticism and evaluation.
- Value diversity by examining and being tested on cultural values implicit in the arts.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)