Aug 11, 2022
CST 161 - CISCO - Introduction to NetworkingCredits: 3
Introduces the architecture, structure, functions, components, and models of the Internet and computer networks. Introduces the principles of IP addressing and fundamentals of Ethernet concepts, media, and operations to provide a foundation for the curriculum. Builds simple LANs, performs basic configurations for routers and switches, and implements IP addressing schemes.
Prerequisite(s): CST 133W
Corequisite(s): May be taken concurrently with CST 133W or with instructor permission. CST 160 recommended.
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 30
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of IP data networks.
- Recognize the purpose and functions of various network devices.
- Select the components required to meet a given network specification.
- Identify common applications and their impact on the network.
- Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP/IP models.
- Use the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect network devices to other devices and hosts in a LAN.
- Implement a switched network.
- Determine the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks.
- Identify basic switching concepts and the operations of switches.
- Configure and verify initial switch settings including remote access management.
- Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them.
- Demonstrate an understanding of IPv4 and IPv6 addressing.
- Describe IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
- Explain the operation and necessity of using private and public IP addresses for IPv4 addressing.
- Determine the appropriate IPv6 addressing scheme to satisfy addressing requirements in LAN/WAN environment.
- Determine the appropriate IPv4 addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment.
- Define the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4.
- Demonstrate understanding of IP routing technologies.
- Describe basic routing concepts.
- Configure and verify, utilizing the CLI, to set basic router settings.
- Configure and verify operation status of an Ethernet interface.
- Authenticate router configuration and network connectivity.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)