Oct 04, 2022
COM 212W - ListeningCredits: 3
Focuses on the theory, behavior, and skills of listening. Includes discussion of the key components of listening such as hearing, understanding, remembering, interpreting, evaluating, and responding.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 3 and WRITING LEVEL 3
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Determine the importance of listening in daily life.
- Discuss ways that listening power generates knowledge.
- Identify how listening generates success in personal and professional life.
- Apply the principles of active listening to conversations.
- Discover the misconceptions people hold about listening.
- Identify how the types of listening affect the listening process.
- Identify different types of listening.
- Apply successful techniques to improve listening.
- Explain the difference between hearing and listening.
- Describe the basic model of the listening process.
- Explain the hearing process and its relationship to listening.
- Identify ways to enhance listening comprehension.
- Identify the methods of self-preparation for listening.
- Identify different note-taking procedures and when to use them.
- Employ techniques to facilitate the listening process.
- Identify the ways that emotions can affect listening.
- Discover emotional filters that affect the listening process.
- Evaluate techniques to control emotional interference.
- Examine ways that attention, concentration, and memory can be improved.
- Describe techniques to focus attention.
- Evaluate concentration techniques.
- Identify memory improvement methods.
- Analyze the way nonverbal communication is related to the listening process.
- Identify the nonverbal cues of the listening process.
- Apply techniques to improve nonverbal listening skills.
- Identify the impact gender and culture has upon the listening process.
- Examine different cultural listening norms.
- Analyze the impact of gender roles upon listening.
- Use writing to promote learning of the above Outcomes and Objectives.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)