AUTO 153 - Manual Drive Trains and Axles Level 2Credits: 1
Practices the service of manual drive trains and axles. Practices NATEF tasks to AST (Automotive Service Technology) level related to manual drive trains and axles.
Prerequisite(s): AUTO 103 and AUTO 149 .
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 15
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Complete general Manual Drive Train and Axles Level 2 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Identify and interpret drive train concerns; determine necessary action.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, fluid type, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Check fluid condition; check for leaks; determine necessary action.
- Drain and refill manual transmission/transaxle and final drive unit.
- Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Clutches as listed below.
- Diagnose clutch noise, binding, slippage, pulsation, and chatter; determine necessary action.
- Inspect clutch pedal linkage, cables, automatic adjuster mechanisms, brackets, bushings, pivots, and springs; perform necessary action.
- Inspect and replace clutch pressure plate assembly, clutch disc, release (throw-out) bearing and linkage, and pilot bearing/bushing (as applicable).
- Bleed clutch hydraulic system.
- Check and adjust clutch master cylinder fluid level; check for leaks.
- Inspect flywheel and ring gear for wear and cracks; determine necessary action.
- Measure flywheel runout and crankshaft end play; determine necessary action.
- Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Transmission/Transaxles as listed below.
- Inspect, adjust, and reinstall shift linkages, brackets, bushings, cables, pivots, and levers
- Describe the operational characteristics of an electronically-controlled manual transmission/transaxle.
- Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Drive Shafts and Constant-Velocity (CV) Joints as listed below.
- Diagnose constant-velocity (CV) joint noise and vibration concerns; determine necessary action.
- Diagnose universal joint noise and vibration concerns; perform necessary action.
- Inspect, remove, and replace front wheel drive (FWD) bearings, hubs, and seals.
- Inspect, service, and replace shafts, yokes, boots, and universal/CV joints.
- Check shaft balance and phasing; measure shaft runout; measure and adjust driveline angles.
- Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Differentials as listed below.
- Clean and inspect differential housing; check for leaks; inspect housing vent.
- Check and adjust differential housing fluid level.
- Drain and refill differential housing
- Inspect and replace companion flange and pinion seal; measure companion flange runout.
- Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Drive Axles as listed below.
- Inspect and replace drive axle wheel studs.
- Remove and replace drive axle shafts.
- Inspect and replace drive axle shaft seals, bearings, and retainers.
- Measure drive axle flange runout and shaft end play; determine necessary action.
- Complete Level 2 NATEF tasks related to Four-wheel Drive/All-wheel Drive as listed below.
- Inspect, adjust, and repair shifting controls (mechanical, electrical, and vacuum), bushings, mounts, levers, and brackets.
- Inspect front-wheel bearings and locking hubs; perform necessary action(s).
- Check for leaks at drive assembly seals; check vents; check lube level.
- Identify concerns related to variations in tire circumference and/or final drive ratios.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)