Aug 14, 2022
AUTO 152 - AutomaticTransmission Level 2Credits: 1
Practices the service and repair of many automatic transmissions. Practices NATEF tasks to AST (Automotive Service Technology) level related to automatic transmissions.
Prerequisite(s): AUTO 102 and AUTO 149 .
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 15
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Complete general Automotive Transmission and Transaxle Level 2 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Identify and interpret transmission/transaxle concern, differentiate between engine performance and transmission/transaxle concerns; determine necessary action.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information fluid type, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Diagnose fluid loss and condition concerns; determine necessary action.
- Check fluid level in a transmission or a transaxle equipped with a dip-stick.
- Check fluid level in a transmission or a transaxle not equipped with a dip-stick.
- Perform stall test; determine necessary action.
- Perform lock-up converter system tests; determine necessary action.
- Diagnose transmission/transaxle gear reduction/multiplication concerns using driving, driven, and held member (power flow) principles.
- Diagnose pressure concerns in a transmission using hydraulic principles (Pascal's Law).
- Complete In-Vehicle Transmission/Transaxle Level 2 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Inspect, adjust, and replace external manual valve shift linkage, transmission range sensor/switch, and park/neutral position switch.
- Inspect for leakage; replace external seals, gaskets, and bushings.
- Inspect, test, adjust, repair, or replace electrical/electronic components and circuits including computers, solenoids, sensors, relays, terminals, connectors, switches, and harnesses.
- Drain and replace fluid and filter(s).
- Inspect powertrain mounts.
- Complete Off-Vehicle Transmission and Transaxle Level 2 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Remove and reinstall transmission/transaxle and torque converter; inspect engine core plugs, rear crankshaft seal, dowel pins, dowel pin holes, and mating surfaces.
- Inspect, leak test, and flush or replace transmission/transaxle oil cooler, lines, and fittings.
- Inspect converter flex (drive) plate, converter attaching bolts, converter pilot, converter pump drive surfaces, converter end play, and crankshaft pilot bore.
- Describe the operational characteristics of a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
- Describe the operational characteristics of a hybrid vehicle drive train.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)