Nov 29, 2023
ASEP 103 - Manual Drive Trains and Axles Level 1Credits: 2
Introduces student to inspection and maintenance of front wheel and four wheel drive front bearings, hubs and seals. Practices NATEF tasks to MLR (maintenance and light repair) level related to manual drive trains and axles. Meets all related GM ASEP training requirements.
Lecture Hours: 30 Lab Hours: 24
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Complete general Manual Drive Train and Axels Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, fluid type, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Drain and refill manual transmission/transaxle and final drive unit.
- Check fluid condition; check for leaks.
- Completes Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Clutches as listed below.
- Check and adjust clutch master cylinder fluid level.
- Check for system leaks.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Transmission/Transaxle as listed below.
- Describe the operational characteristics of an electronically-controlled manual transmission/transaxle.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Drive Shaft, Half Shafts, Universal and Constant-Velocity (CV) Joints as listed below.
- Inspect, remove, and replace front wheel drive (FWD) bearings, hubs, and seals.
- Inspect, service, and replace shafts, yokes, boots, and universal/CV joints.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Differentials as listed below.
- Clean and inspect differential housing; check for leaks; inspect housing vent.
- Check and adjust differential housing fluid level.
- Drain and refill differential housing.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Drive Axles as listed below.
- Inspect and replace drive axle wheel studs
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Four-wheel Drive/All-wheel Drive as listed below.
- Inspect front-wheel bearings and locking hubs.
- Check for leaks at drive assembly seals; check vents; check lube level.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)