Jun 25, 2022
EDU 389W - Exploring Diversity/With ProjectCredits: 4
Instructional Contact Hours: 4
Explores themes, issues, perspectives and experiences related to diversity. Provides an opportunity to reflect and practice an interdisciplinary approach to the study of diversity in a global world. Credit may be earned in only one of the following: IHU 280W , IHU 281W , IHU 281HW, EDU 388W , EDU 389W, SSI 288W , SSI 289W , SSI 289HW.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 60 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Expand the definition of diversity beyond traditional views.
- Define diversity and identify variables of diversity.
- Identify discrimination through self-reflection and exposure to a variety of voices and perspectives.
- Develop a scale or continuum of diversity perspectives and reflect on one's personal growth along that continuum.
- Explore how variables of diversity influence society.
- Explore biological, sociological, psychological, and anthropological theories associated with diversity
- Identify individual and societal losses due to intolerance.
- Describe how diversity impacts the classroom, community, or workplace.
- Practice communication techniques that foster a safe and inclusive environment.
- Practice communication techniques that foster an atmosphere that values all members.
- Recognize and demonstrate sensitivity to the variety of influences that shape an individual’s perspective on diversity.
- Reflect upon a variety of learning activities that promote diversity awareness and challenge intolerance and discrimination.
- Demonstrate personal and social responsibility as a global citizen.
- Evaluate one’s cultural assumptions and biases.
- Analyze and evaluate issues, positions, viewpoints and ideas when exploring diversity
- Identify behaviors that foster global citizenship
- Demonstrate intercultural knowledge in developing a global worldview.
- Apply an understanding of the importance of diversity by participating in service learning.
- Choose a personally relevant project
- Provide meaningful service to the community
- Document the service learning experience
- Connect relevance of the experience to the diversity concepts addressed in Outcomes 1-4.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)