Oct 04, 2022
EDU 388W - Exploring DiversityCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Explores themes, issues, perspectives and experiences related to diversity. Provides an opportunity to reflect and practice an interdisciplinary approach to the study of diversity in a global world. Credit may be earned in only one of the following: SSI 288W , SSI 289W , EDU 388W, EDU 389W , IHU 280W , or IHU 281W .
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Expand the definition of diversity beyond traditional views.
- Define diversity and identify variables of diversity.
- Identify discrimination through self-reflection and exposure to a variety of voices and perspectives.
- Develop a scale or continuum of diversity perspectives and reflect on one's personal growth along that continuum.
- Explore how variables of diversity influence society.
- Explore biological, sociological, psychological, and anthropological theories associated with diversity
- Identify individual and societal losses due to intolerance.
- Describe how diversity impacts the classroom, community, or workplace.
- Practice communication techniques that foster a safe and inclusive environment.
- Practice communication techniques that foster an atmosphere that values all members.
- Recognize and demonstrate sensitivity to the variety of influences that shape an individual’s perspective on diversity.
- Reflect upon a variety of learning activities that promote diversity awareness and challenge intolerance and discrimination.
- Demonstrate personal and social responsibility as a global citizen.
- Evaluate one’s cultural assumptions and biases.
- Analyze and evaluate issues, positions, viewpoints and ideas when exploring diversity
- Identify behaviors that foster global citizenship
- Demonstrate intercultural knowledge in developing a global worldview.
- Develop resources for infusing diversity into the classroom.
- Create a learning activity or assignment that addresses diversity in a global world.
- Explore online resources related to diversity in the classroom
- Share activities or resources related to increasing awareness and respect for human diversity.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)