Feb 06, 2023
LW 206A - Occupational Wellness 1Credits: 1
Instructional Contact Hours: 1
Introduces wellness concepts, behavioral patterns, and activities that can be incorporated into the lifestyles of those working in a wide variety of occupational settings.
Prerequisite(s): Admission to restricted enrollment programs.
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of various chronic diseases.
- Identify risk factors for various chronic diseases most impacted by lifestyle choices.
- Define various chronic diseases most impacted by lifestyle choices.
- Identify lifestyle changes to decrease risk for chronic diseases most impacted by lifestyle choices.
- Critically analyze a person's risk for disease.
- Identify populations at greatest risks for chronic disease.
- Explore chosen career path and risk for chronic disease.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the health-related components of fitness.
- Identify activities and criteria that meet the FITT principle for each component.
- Explore how the FITT principles of the five health-related components of fitness can impact student’s overall wellness.
- Describe how the health-related components of fitness impact chronic disease risk.
- Describe how the health-related components of fitness impact stress management.
- Explain how applying the FITT principles for the health-related components of fitness can positively impact performance in chosen career path.
- Demonstrate an understanding of healthy nutrition.
- List all macronutrients along with their caloric values, healthy food sources, relationship to healthy diet, and roles in the body.
- Calculate percentage of macronutrients in food sources.
- Explain the importance of micronutrients and their role in a healthy diet.
- Demonstrate an ability to think critically about nutritional claims and differentiate myth from fact.
- Critically analyze a diet and explain the strengths and weaknesses of it in comparison to healthy standards.
- Calculate energy in foods based on information presented on food labels.
- Demonstrate an ability to make changes to a diet in order to more closely align in with healthy standards.
- Describe how nutrition impacts stress management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of major muscle groups.
- Identify the location of the major muscles groups.
- Give examples of exercises to strengthen the major muscle groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding of heart rate training.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate resting heart rates, exercise heart rates, and training zones.
- Explain how the training zones impact cardiovascular training principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the dimensions of wellness.
- Identify and define the dimensions of wellness.
- Explain, with examples from their lives, what contributes to or detracts from the various dimensions of wellness.
- Explain how the dimensions of wellness impact each other.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)