Dec 06, 2022
ENG 111H - College Composition I - HonorsCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Develops fluent, effective, and confident writers. Practices the process of composing; generating ideas; shaping and evaluating writing. Uses reading and language awareness to further the development of writing. Provides opportunities to engage in independent intellectual inquiry to foster deeper learning. Credit may be earned in only ENG 111 or ENG 111A or ENG 111B or ENG 111C or ENG 111H.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL4 and WRITING LEVEL 4 or permission of the Honors Office
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Write effectively for appropriate rhetorical situations.
- Use the writing process: pre-write, write, and revise.
- Write with clarity.
- Select, organize, and present details to support a main idea.
- Use generalizations and details effectively.
- Read effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to derive meaning of text from multiple perspectives.
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish between the meaning one makes of a text and the author's intended purpose.
- Show comprehension by accurately paraphrasing and summarizing a wide variety of texts.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
- Explore the relationships among language, knowledge, and power.
- Develop critical thinking skills and apply them to reading texts.
- Demonstrate intermediate skills for information literacy, including accessing, analyzing, and using resources.
- Practice intellectual curiosity and apply it in independent ways to deepen their understanding of course material.
- Complete at least one significant project, either individually or as a group depending on the instructor’s discretion, and work with the instructor to assure that the project demonstrates intellectual curiosity and academic rigor
- Actively engage with their peers in conversations, seminars, or in other formats at the instructor’s discretion to enhance the depth of knowledge of the relevant material
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)