Oct 03, 2023
ABS 200W - Career Decision MakingCredits: 1
Instructional Contact Hours: 1
Develops student ability to make career choices by focusing on the steps in the career decision making process (Self Awareness, Career Awareness, Decision Making, and Creating a Plan). Investigates personal values, skills, interests and abilities and explores a variety of careers using campus resources. Assists in matching personal characteristics with careers and creating a plan of action to accomplish short- and long-range career goals while working in a cooperative, respectful group atmosphere. Encourages writing, as a reflective practice, to enhance learning. Credit may be earned in ABS 103 or ABS 200W but not both.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 1 and WRITING LEVEL 1
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate respect for peers/colleagues by maintaining confidentiality, listening actively, and accepting the rights of others to express diverse opinions.
- Participate actively in class activities.
- Demonstrate self-awareness as a first step in developing a successful career plan.
- Discuss the components of self-awareness including self-esteem, assertiveness, values, skills and abilities, interests, and personality characteristics.
- Explore the above components using relevant career theories, including Holland's Codes and some form of Myers-Briggs Personality Indicator.
- Explore the above components using appropriate career exploration tools.
- Apply this understanding and knowledge of self-awareness to the career decision-making process.
- Demonstrate career-awareness and exploration as the second step in developing a successful career plan.
- Use campus career resources to broaden career awareness.
- Use Career Services resources to explore career awareness.
- Use Bureau of Labor Statistics and other relevant resources to explore career options.
- Identify and interview someone employed in a field of interest.
- Present an oral and written report summarizing and analyzing the interview.
- Decide on a career as the third step in developing a career plan.
- Analyze and integrate the knowledge of self- and career-awareness explorations to match personal characteristics with careers.
- Discuss and apply steps in the decision-making process to prepare a plan of action.
- Develop a comprehensive career plan.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)