Aug 08, 2022
MUS 196 - Jazz Singers IIICredits: 2
Provides a continuing opportunity to perform literature of various musical styles related to Jazz, Pop, Blues, Rock, and other popular genres. Develops a knowledge base of choral literature and performance practices as related to Jazz and Pop choral styles. Credit may be earned in MUS 196 or MUS 256 but not both.
Prerequisite(s): MUS 195 Audition and instructor permission
Lecture Hours: 30 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate development of vocal technique as it relates specifically to vocal jazz/pop choral singing.
- Develop listening skills as they relate to harmonization within a small jazz vocal group.
- Enhance vocal performance through quick response to musical signs and symbols as they relate to jazz/pop/rock/blues ensemble singing.
- Increase awareness of different singing styles and interpretations across the pop music spectrum.
- Develop vocal range and flexibility through study and performance of jazz/pop choral literature
- Improve ability to sustain notes through breath control and jazz vocal technique.
- Strengthen the voice with increased range and tonal flexibility in jazz and related genre.
- Improve sight reading abilities within specific clefs relating to voice type in jazz and related genre.
- Improve performance through use of posture and breathing techniques.
- Employ choreography in jazz/pop choral performance.
- Employ healthy singing habits to performance and practice as it relates to jazz/pop styles.
- Demonstrate development of and improvement of learned vocal skills through increasingly varied and advanced performance practices of jazz and popular literature.
- Employ appropriate vocal technique by understanding the concept of jazz/pop ensemble singin.
- Demonstrate both rehearsal and concert etiquette as it relates to jazz/pop choral singing.
- Attend assigned rehearsals (including dress rehearsal) culminating in one or more performances of the jazz/pop choral works learned.
- Perform increasingly diverse styles of jazz/pop music from contemporary composers.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)