Jun 25, 2022
COM 112CW - Fundamentals of Oral CommunicationCredits: 3
Offers training in the fundamental processes of oral expression, with an emphasis on speaking and listening as the coordination of perception and expression. Practices the basic principles, components, and skills for the development and delivery of presentations in specific communication situations. Intended to only be taken in a learning community combination.
Corequisite(s): Specified sections of PSY 211W , ABS 090A, and ENG 098.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the communication process.
- Distinguish the elements in the communication process.
- Develop an understanding of diversity and its impact on communication.
- Develop an awareness of various speech presentations.
- Differentiate the lines of communication
- 5. Mass communication
- Develop research principles.
- Assess knowledge of the topic and the suitability of the topic for speaking occasion.
- Analyze audience demographics; interests; attitudes; and knowledge of topic.
- Develop research strategy.
- Access research information from a variety of credible sources.
- Evaluate research information.
- Organize information.
- Develop outlining techniques.
- Organize the introduction.
- Organize the body.
- Organize the conclusion.
- Arrange outline using proper outline stage.
- Employ effective presentation delivery techniques.
- Demonstrate effective use of language.
- Demonstrate effective use of voice.
- Demonstrate effective use of eye contact.
- Demonstrate appropriate facial expressions and gestures.
- Demonstrate effective use of posture.
- Demonstrate effective use of visual aids to illustrate and reinforce message.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the listening process.
- Differentiate listening from hearing.
- Describe the listening process.
- Examine listening obstacles from both speaker and listener perspective.
- Employ listening skills and speaker strategies to promote listening.
- Demonstrate ability to listen to and respond to audience feedback following presentations.
- Interact productively with others to promote learning of all of the above Outcomes and Objectives.
- Utilize writing to promote learning of all of the above Outcomes and Objectives.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)