May 18, 2022
JRN 222 - Media Innovation Lab
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Provides dynamic, experimental environment for utilizing the latest in journalistic technology and trending topics to create synergistic news and media products for a variety of existing and emerging platforms. Uses traditional and unconventional storytelling and informative techniques to identify demand for a media product or service.
Prerequisite(s): JRN 102 or ENG 116
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Identify a journalism or public relations project that serves a specific need.
- Determine the desired outcomes of the project.
- Determine the focus of the project.
- Determine the scope of the project.
- Create a collaborative multimedia plan for meeting that need.
- Research the topic that is the focus of the project.
- Determine appropriate sources for the project, including people and relevant records.
- Identify the media types best suited for the project, i.e. video, info-graphic, photography, articles, social media campaign.
- Create a collaborative plan for information-gathering, including scheduling interviews, photo shoots, etc.
- Set deadlines for production, editing, revision and publication.
- Determine standards for publication.
- Execute the multimedia plan.
- Gather needed information, images, recordings and facts through interview, photography, recordings and additional research.
- Create the multi-media products.
- Submit products for critique from instructor, classmates, and, if appropriate, client.
- Revise and edit product to meet publication standards.
- Publish the multimedia project on appropriate platform.
- Assess the project.
- Collect and consider feedback from the public, and client, if appropriate, on the published product.
- Reflect upon the successes and shortcomings of the project.
- Reflect on the collaborative nature of the project.
- Assess journalistic growth and learning that occurred through execution of the project.
- Identify how aspects of the project apply to professional settings.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)