OAT 171 - Document Processing: BeginningCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Uses MS Word to introduce the formatting of business correspondence, reports, and tables. Develops speed and accuracy on the computer keyboard.
Prerequisite(s): OAT 170 with minimum grade of “B” or successful completion of keyboarding waiver testing.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Efficiently use the computer.
- Operate the keyboard by touch using correct technique.
- Operate the equipment efficiently.
- Use external storage devices.
- Increase speed and accuracy on the alphabetic, numeric, and symbol keys.
- Review the reaches to the alphabetic, numeric, and symbol keys.
- Complete assigned exercises using skillbuilding software to increase entry-level keyboarding speed at least 5 wpm.
- Complete five-minute timings at a rate of at least 30 words a minute with no more than five errors.
- Demonstrate the mastery of the MS Word features needed to format business correspondence, reports, and tables.
- Identify the parts of the Word screen.
- Use Page Setup for margins and vertical centering.
- Insert and adjust page numbering.
- Create numbered and bulleted paragraphs.
- Know program defaults.
- Manage documents (select, delete, and rename files).
- Use Widow/Orphan control.
- Use shortcut menus.
- Create, save, and print documents.
- Use View modes.
- Delete and set tabs; use left, right, center, decimal, and leader tabs; adjust tabs.
- Insert date and page breaks.
- Use save as to save a document with a new name.
- Create, edit, and print envelopes.
- Use the ruler for setting tabs, indents, and margins.
- Use show/hide markers to troubleshoot a document.
- Use word wrap.
- Cut, copy, and paste text.
- Use and modify AutoCorrect options.
- Work with multiple windows.
- Use and modify Spelling and Grammar checker.
- Use and make changes to the Print dialog box.
- Change the default folder, copy folders, and delete folders.
- Use Print Preview and its tools.
- Exit Word and Windows.
- Use the Table feature (including merging, selecting, AutoFit, table positioning, formatting borders, and aligning text).
- Edit a document using movement and deletion commands.
- Split and join paragraphs.
- Select text with keyboard and mouse commands.
- Use Undo and Redo buttons.
- Use keyboard shortcuts. (Ctrl + S, O, P, N, A, B, I, U, E, 1, 2)
- Format characters with all caps, bolding, italicizing, and underlining.
- Use the Help feature.
- Format paragraph s (display non-printing characters; change text alignment, indents, and line spacing).
- Demonstrate knowledge of current formats for the business environment
- Use critical thinking skills to complete homework assignments that require formatting of mailable letters, memos, tables, and reports.
- Use critical thinking skills to produce correctly formatted, mailable documents within a designated period of time (performance tests).
- Demonstrate professionalism appropriate for the workplace.
- Attend class promptly and consistently.
- Follow written and verbal directions.
- Complete and submit homework on time.
- Participate constructively in classroom activities.
- Display civility toward other class members and the instructor.
- Demonstrate academic integrity.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)