LWT 214 - Techniques and Applications of Health Fitness EquipmentCredits: 2
Instructional Contact Hours: 2
Explores a variety of Health Fitness equipment and apparatus through practical application and experience, including but not limited to dumbbells, medicine balls, stability ball, BOSU ball, resistance tubes, body bars, foam rollers, heavy ropes, body weight, selectorized machines, free weights, and plyometric boxes, Discusses specific anatomy, safe technique, modifications as well as exercise guidelines in preparation for personal training.
Prerequisite(s): Enrollment in Health Fitness Specialst program
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 15
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Explain the concepts and components of health fitness equipment.
- List and Describe exercises that can be done for each muscle group utilizing a variety of small fitness equipment.
- Identify factors that affect confidence, balance, and performance in exercise
- Understand the physical benefits associated with weight training.
- Compare and contrast the benefits of body weight and small equipment fitness exercises VS weight training machines
- Describe how small equipment resistance training can enhance Activities of Daily Living
- Discuss the factors affecting exercise selection.
- Describe and explain concentric and eccentric muscle contractions
- Describe and explain the difference between muscular strength, muscular endurance, hypertrophy, atrophy, and muscle tone
- Know the proper order of exercises to maximize each training session.
- Understand the number of sets, repetitions, and intensity of exercises for different types of populations
- Know the proper rest needed between sets, exercises, and days of training.
- Describe and explain muscle soreness and Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
- Understand the importance of receiving medical clearance from a physician before participating in any exercise program.
- Identify appropriate storage, cleaning, and safety check of health fitness equipment
- Understand the importance and proper procedures of spotting and modifications of exercises
- Describe the importance of the warm-up, stretching, and cool-down phases of an exercise program.
- Describe and explain the following weight training terms: set, rep, load, overload, agonist, antagonist, flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, DOMS, rotation, circumduction, isometric, isotonic, isokinetic, eccentric and concentric contractions.
- List a variety of resistance exercises for the upper and lower body utilizing portable health fitness equipment
- Identify the major muscle groups involved in the performance of exercises.
- Demonstrate the concepts and components of Health Fitness equipment
- Apply knowledge of resistance training principles to develop exercise programs for a variety of populations.
- Develop and lead a total body training session utilizing small health fitness equipment
- Demonstrate a variety portable health fitness equipment exercises for both the upper and lower body using safe and effective techniques.
- Demonstrate ability to monitor heart rates and educate participants in monitoring theirs.
- Perform warm-up stretching, and cool-down exercises.
- Demonstrate static stretching exercises for each major muscle group.
- Perform the proper procedures of spotting.
- Demonstrate effective communication while leading exercise
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)