May 18, 2022
LWA 127 - Volleyball ICredits: 1
Instructional Contact Hours: 2
Introduces basic skills of handling the ball, passing, setting, spiking, net-rebound play, and blocking. Includes rules and strategy.
Lecture Hours: 0 Lab Hours: 30
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the health-related components of fitness as they relate to wellness.
- Identify activities and criteria that meet the FITT principle for each component.
- Explore how the FITT principles of the five health-related components of fitness can impact student's overall wellness.
- Describe how the health-related components of fitness impact chronic disease risk.
- Demonstrate an understanding of healthy nutrition.
- List all macronutrients along with their caloric values, healthy food sources, relationship to healthy diet, and roles in the body.
- Explain the importance of micronutrients and their role in a healthy diet.
- Demonstrate an ability to think critically about nutritional claims and differentiate myth from fact.
- Demonstrate knowledge of major muscle groups.
- Identify the location of the major muscles groups.
- Give examples of exercises to strengthen the major muscle groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding of heart rate training.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate resting heart rates, exercise heart rates, and training zones.
- Explain how the training zones impact cardiovascular training principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the dimensions of wellness.
- Identify and define the dimensions of wellness.
- Explain, with examples from their lives, what contributes to or detracts from the various dimensions of wellness.
- Explain the basic rules and concepts of the game of volleyball.
- Demonstrate safe and proper techniques of the game of volleyball as a means to improving fitness.
- Describe the importance of a warm-up and cool-down.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various volleyball skills and drills.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)