May 18, 2022
LWA 115 - AikidoCredits: 1
Instructional Contact Hours: 2
Provides an introduction to a non-aggressive martial art stressing use of spiritual energy, self-cultivation, mutual respect, and skills of self-defense.
Lecture Hours: 0 Lab Hours: 30
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the health-related components of fitness as they relate to wellness.
- Identify activities and criteria that meet the FITT principle for each component.
- Explore how the FITT principles of the five health-related components of fitness can impact student's overall wellness.
- Describe how the health-related components of fitness impact chronic disease risk.
- Demonstrate an understanding of healthy nutrition.
- List all macronutrients along with their caloric values, healthy food sources, relationship to healthy diet, and roles in the body.
- Explain the importance of micronutrients and their role in a healthy diet.
- Demonstrate an ability to think critically about nutritional claims and differentiate myth from fact.
- Demonstrate knowledge of major muscle groups.
- Identify the location of the major muscles groups.
- Give examples of exercises to strengthen the major muscle groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding of heart rate training.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate resting heart rates, exercise heart rates, and training zones.
- Explain how the training zones impact cardiovascular training principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the dimensions of wellness.
- Identify and define the dimensions of wellness.
- Explain, with examples from their lives, what contributes to or detracts from the various dimensions of wellness.
- Explain the concepts and components of Aikido.
- Explain the origins and styles of the art of Aikido.
- Explain and demonstrate the self-defense application of Aikido.
- Explain the long-term maintenance of mind and body developed through Aikido techniques.
- Demonstrate safe and proper techniques of Aikido.
- Demonstrate the safe performance of weapons.
- Explain the use of Aikido as a means to maintain and improve fitness.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)