May 20, 2022
HSC 205W - Legal Aspects of the Health Care SystemCredits: 2
Instructional Contact Hours: 2
An overview of state legislation affecting various aspects of the health care system, including study of common legal problems, etc., such as dispensing of medication and privacy of medical records. Designed primarily for health care professionals.
Lecture Hours: 30 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Gain knowledge of physician licensure and certification.
- List the basic elements of medical practice acts.
- Name ways a physician can obtain a license.
- Express the reasons a physician can lose his/her license.
- Identify the difference between licensure and certification.
- Gain knowledge of the doctor/patient relationship.
- List the elements of a contract.
- List a patient's rights in obtaining medical treatment.
- List a doctor’s rights in providing medical treatment.
- Identify obligations of physician and patient in a physician/patient relationship.
- Explain the correct way to terminate the doctor/patient relationship.
- Describe physician abandonment.
- Express the meaning of the Standard of Care.
- Describe the basis of the Good Samaritan Law.
- Gain knowledge on the topic of confidentiality in the physician/patient relationship.
- State the legal basis of the principle of confidentiality.
- Describe privileged communications statutes.
- Describe ways to prevent accidental disclosure of patient information.
- Gain knowledge of negligence in health care.
- Explain the Locality Rule in regard to Standard of Care.
- List the points necessary to prove professional negligence.
- State the Doctrine of Res Ipsa Loquitur
- Explain the Doctrine of Respondeat Superior.
- Gain knowledge of how the physician can defend himself/herself in professional liability suits.
- Explain the uses of medical records in a professional liability suit.
- Express the difference between a denial defense and an affirmative defense.
- State the purpose of the Statute of Limitations.
- Explain contributory negligence.
- Explain Res Judicata.
- Gain knowledge of intentional torts and criminal offenses.
- Describe four intentional torts.
- Discuss defamation of character.
- Explain how crime and torts differ.
- Gain knowledge of a physician’s public duties and responsibilities.
- Explain what vital statistics reports consist of.
- Discuss the physician’s obligation in regard to home births, and deaths by natural causes.
- Explain the Controlled substance Act and the drugs that are controlled by it
- Gain knowledge of patient health records.
- Describe the purposes of keeping medical records.
- Explain who owns a patient’s medical record.
- State how health care professionals can correct a patient record entry.
- Explain subpoena duce tecum.
- Gain knowledge of employment safety and rights laws.
- State the purposes of OSHA laws.
- Explain the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Discuss the Civil Rights Act, Title VII.
- Describe the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- List the principles of sexual harassment policies.
- Gain knowledge of consumer protection laws.
- Explain the concept of professional courtesy.
- Describe the laws that deal with equal and fair credit.
- Explain what the AMA considers to be unethical charges.
- State the terms of the Truth in Lending Act.
- Gain knowledge of the trial process.
- Discuss the four phases of a trial.
- Explain the guidelines in filing an appeal.
- Gain knowledge of current topics in medical ethics.
- State the major ideas of the Oath of Hippocrates.
- Discuss the allocation of scarce resources
- List the major issues of organ transplantation.
- Explain the alternatives for infertile couples who want children.
- Explain the parts of Roe vs. Wade.
- Talk about HIV and the health care worker.
- Discuss the issues involved with death.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)