May 18, 2022
ENV 130W - Pollution PreventionCredits: 1
Instructional Contact Hours: 1
Provides a study of protecting the environment, reducing waste generation, environmental compliance, preventing future liability associated with non-compliance and improper disposal of hazardous wastes, and improving profitability of an operation through pollution prevention techniques and practices.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2 and MATH LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Explain environmental laws and regulations as they relate to statutes, regulations, permitting, civil, and criminal enforcement.
- List the four major categories of environmental laws
- List which acts are under each category
- Briefly describe seven environmental laws
- Define and discuss the terms “statute” and “regulation”
- Discuss permitting and criminal enforcement
- Describe the liabilities associated with regulatory compliance.
- Describe OSHA
- Describe the hazard communication standard
- Describe the rule for work practices and engineering controls for automotive and clutch operation
- List major provision of the Clean Air Act
- List the three major portions of the Clean Air Act
- Describe the National Drinking Water standards
- List the primary goal of RCRA
- List the standards applicable to generators of hazardous waste
- Describe management standards.
- Discuss proper container management
- Discuss labeling and marking
- Discuss prevention/waste minimization
- Discuss spill prevention and clean-up procedures
- Discuss proper disposal
- Discuss recycling and re-use options
- Regarding waste streams: Discuss used oil, discuss spent solvents, discuss other waste fluids, discuss solid waste, and discuss paint waste related material.
- Describe the purpose for and implement a self-environmental audit for an automotive service business.
- List the objectives of an audit program
- List the most common waste streams in the automotive industry
- List the regulations that impact the automotive industry
- Describe the general requirements of each regulation
- Describe and conduct a self-audit check
- Describe the activities that take place during an official audit
- Describe the post-audit procedures
- Perform writing tasks to promote learning.
- Write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)