May 18, 2022
ENG 217 - Advanced ReportingCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Focuses on advanced journalistic techniques and news gathering methods, handling specialized assignments in government, crime, courts, sports, business and education plus editorial columns and entertainment reviews. Class members work on The Delta Collegiate. Credit may only be earned in only one of: ENG 217 or JRN 104 .
Prerequisite(s): ENG 116 or JRN 102
Lecture Hours: 30 Lab Hours: 15
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Apply the principles of gathering news.
- Apply observation skills at news events.
- Apply interviewing skills with news sources.
- Apply research skills in the library and on-line.
- Apply beat reporting on campus.
- Demonstrate understanding of journalistic concepts.
- Distinguish between fact and opinion.
- Recognize elements of news including importance, timeliness, consequence, conflict, humor, the unusual, prominence, proximity and human interest.
- Defend accuracy of reporting and writing.
- Explain the importance of ethics on the job
- Apply concepts and principles of news writing.
- Modify the inverted pyramid format to fit specialized situations.
- Attribute information through proper use of direct and indirect quotes.
- Demonstrate treatment of reported issues with objectivity and balance.
- Write in journalistic style.
- Compose specialized stories including: editorial column, meeting story, crime, courts, sports, business, entertainment review, investigative story and follow up.
- Edit stories in Associated Press style.
- Evaluate written work.
- Critique own writing.
- Critique writing of classmates.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)