Aug 14, 2022
AUTO 104 - Suspension and Steering Level 1Credits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 5
Introduces inspection and maintenance of suspension and steering systems. Practices NATEF tasks to MLR (maintenance and light repair) level related to suspension and steering systems.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 36
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Complete general Suspension and Steering Systems Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins.
- Disable and enable supplemental restraint system (SRS).
- Complete Related Suspension and Steering Service related Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Inspect rack and pinion steering gear inner tie rod ends (sockets) and bellows boots.
- Determine proper power steering fluid type; inspect fluid level and condition.
- Flush, fill, and bleed power steering system.
- Inspect for power steering fluid leakage; determine necessary action.
- Remove, inspect, replace, and adjust power steering pump drive belt.
- Inspect and replace power steering hoses and fittings.
- Replace power steering pump filter(s).
- Inspect pitman arm, relay (centerlink/intermediate) rod, idler arm and mountings, and steering linkage damper.
- Inspect tie rod ends (sockets), tie rod sleeves, and clamps.
- Inspect upper and lower control arms, bushings, and shafts.
- Inspect and replace rebound and jounce bumpers.
- Inspect track bar, strut rods/radius arms, and related mounts and bushings.
- Inspect upper and lower ball joints (with or without wear indicators).
- Inspect suspension system coil springs and spring insulators (silencers).
- Inspect suspension system torsion bars and mounts.
- Inspect and replace front stabilizer bar (sway bar) bushings, brackets, and links.
- Inspect strut cartridge or assembly.
- Inspect front strut bearing and mount.
- Inspect rear suspension system lateral links/arms (track bars), control (trailing) arms.
- Inspect rear suspension system leaf spring(s), spring insulators (silencers), shackles, brackets, bushings, center pins/bolts, and mounts.
- Inspect, remove, and replace shock absorbers; inspect mounts and bushings.
- Inspect electric power-assisted steering.
- Identify hybrid vehicle power steering system electrical circuits and safety precautions.
- Describe the function of the power steering pressure switch.
- Complete Wheel Alignment related Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Perform pre-alignment inspection and measure vehicle ride height; determine necessary action.
- Complete Wheels and Tires related Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Inspect tire condition; identify tire wear patterns; check for correct size and application (load and speed ratings) and adjust air pressure; determine necessary action.
- Rotate tires according to manufacturer's recommendations.
- Dismount, inspect, and remount tire on wheel; balance wheel and tire assembly (static and dynamic).
- Dismount, inspect, and remount tire on wheel equipped with tire pressure monitoring system sensor.
- Inspect tire and wheel assembly for air loss; perform necessary action.
- Repair tire using internal patch.
- Identify and test tire pressure monitoring systems (indirect and direct) for operation; verify operation of instrument panel lamps.
- Demonstrate knowledge of steps required to remove and replace sensors in a tire pressure monitoring system.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)