May 18, 2022
ASEP 106 - Electrical/Electronic Systems Level 1Credits: 4
Instructional Contact Hours: 7
Introduces basic electrical/electronic systems on today's high tech vehicles. Practices NATEF tasks to MLR (maintenance and light repair) level related to electrical/electronic systems. Requires meeting all related GM ASEP training requirements.
Lecture Hours: 60 Lab Hours: 48
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Complete general electrical and electronic systems Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Research applicable vehicle and service information, vehicle service history, service precautions, and technical service bulletins
- Demonstrate knowledge of electrical/electronic series, parallel, and series-parallel circuits using principles of electricity (Ohm’s Law).
- Use wiring diagrams to trace electrical/electronic circuits.
- Demonstrate proper use of a digital multimeter (DMM) when measuring source voltage, voltage drop (including grounds), current flow, and resistance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the causes and effects from shorts, grounds, opens, and resistance problems in electrical/electronic circuits.
- Check operation of electrical circuits with a test light.
- Check operation of electrical circuits with fused jumper wires.
- Measure key-off battery drain (parasitic draw).
- Inspect and test fusible links, circuit breakers, and fuses; determine necessary action.
- Perform solder repair of electrical wiring.
- Replace electrical connectors and terminal ends.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Battery Service as listed below.
- Perform battery state-of-charge test; determine necessary action
- Confirm proper battery capacity for vehicle application; perform battery capacity test; determine necessary action.
- Maintain or restore electronic memory functions.
- Inspect and clean battery; fill battery cells; check battery cables, connectors, clamps, and hold-downs.
- Perform slow/fast battery charge according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Jump-start vehicle using jumper cables and a booster battery or an auxiliary power supply.
- Identify high-voltage circuits of electric or hybrid electric vehicle and related safety precautions.
- Identify electronic modules, security systems, radios, and other accessories that require reinitialization or code entry after reconnecting vehicle battery.
- Identify hybrid vehicle auxiliary (12v) battery service, repair, and test procedures.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Starting Systems as listed below.
- Perform starter current draw test; determine necessary action.
- Perform starter circuit voltage drop tests; determine necessary action.
- Inspect and test starter relays and solenoids; determine necessary action.
- Remove and install starter in a vehicle.
- Inspect and test switches, connectors, and wires of starter control circuits; determine necessary action.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Charging Systems as listed below.
- Perform charging system output test; determine necessary action
- Inspect, adjust, or replace generator (alternator) drive belts; check pulleys and tensioners for wear; check pulley and belt alignment.
- Remove, inspect, and re-install generator (alternator).
- Perform charging circuit voltage drop tests; determine necessary action.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Lighting Systems as listed below.
- Inspect interior and exterior lamps and sockets including headlights and auxiliary lights (fog lights/driving lights); replace as needed.
- Aim headlights.
- Identify system voltage and safety precautions associated with high-intensity discharge headlights.
- Complete Level 1 NATEF tasks related to Electrical Accessories as listed below.
- Disable and enable airbag system for vehicle service; verify indicator lamp operation.
- Remove and reinstall door panel.
- Describe the operation of keyless entry/remote-start systems.
- Verify operation of instrument panel gauges and warning/indicator lights; reset maintenance indicators.
- Verify windshield wiper and washer operation; replace wiper blades.
- Complete required Supplemental Level 1 NATEF tasks as listed below.
- Demonstrate awareness of the safety aspects of supplemental restraint systems (SRS), electronic brake control systems, and hybrid vehicle high voltage circuits.
- Demonstrate awareness
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)