Program Code: ABS.10288
The efficiency of a medical office and the quality of medical care provided depend in large part upon the staff members who supplement and support the role of the physician. As a medical office staff member, you must have strong communication skills, organizational ability, computer knowledge, and excellent human relations skills.
Medical administrative assistants understand and use medical terminology; complete medical insurance claims; handle correspondence, medical records and physicians' dictation; greet and direct patients; and manage appointment schedules and the telephone. They are also required to understand the legal responsibilities of medical office staff members.
This certificate has a common core of classes that is also required for the Health Insurance Coding and Claims Specialist/Advanced Certificate. Those core classes include BIO 101W , HSC 105 , HSC 205W , HSC 210 , OAT 105W , and OAT 151 .
Total Semester Credits: 16
Total Semester Credits: 17
Total Semester Credits: 15
Winter Second Year:
- CST 151 - Spreadsheet Fundamentals Credits: 2
- LW 220W - Lifelong Wellness Credits: 1
- LWA — Lifelong Wellness Activity Course Credits: 1
Any 1 credit LW course may be taken in place of LW 220W .
Any 2 credit LW course may be taken in place of LW — and LWA — courses
- OAT 255 - Medical Insurance II Credits: 3
- OAT 266 - Medical Office Practice Credits: 4
- OAT 273 - Document Processing: Advanced Credits: 3
- POL 103W - American Politics Credits: 3
POL 105W, POL 212W , POL 215W , POL 220W , POL 221W , POL 223W , POL 225W , POL 228W , HIS 221W , HIS 222W , or HIS 237W can be taken in place of POL 103W
Total Semester Credits: 17
- A grade of “C” (2.0) or higher is required in the following courses: BIO 101W , CST 151 , HSC 105 , OAT 116 , OAT 151 , OAT 152 , (OR ENG 111 , ENG 112 , ENG 113 ), OAT 172 , OAT 243 , OAT 244 , OAT 254 , OAT 255 , OAT 260 , OAT 266 , OAT 273 .
- BIO 101W , CST 105 , CST 151 , HSC 105 , HSC 140 , HSC 205W , OAT 172 , OAT 243 , OAT 244 , OAT 254 , OAT 255 , OAT 260 , OAT 266 , and OAT 273 are Key courses and must be completed within 5 years of completing certificate. Failure to complete within the stated time frame will require you to repeat this course. See Graduation Requirements .
- Credit by exam is available for CST 105 , CST 151 , OAT 151 , OAT 171 , OAT 172 , OAT 175 , OAT 243 , and OAT 244 .
- Keyboarded assignments required for OAT 151 and OAT 152 .
- OAT 175 and OAT 116 require MATH LEVEL 2.
- OAT 170 with a “B” grade or better is a prerequisite for OAT 171 . Keyboarding waiver test is available for OAT 170 . Contact the Business and Technology Division office, 989-686-9127, to arrange for waiver test.
- HSC 105 and one of the following: BIO 101W , BIO 140W , BIO 152W , BIO 153W , or BIO 240 , both with a minimum grade of “C” (2.0) are prerequisites for HSC 210 .
- OAT 266 is a winter-only offering. OAT 151 , OAT 172 , OAT 254 , and OAT 260 with a C (2.0) grade minimum are the prerequisites for OAT 266 .