Program Code: AAS.25710
This degree can stand alone or can lead to a bachelor's degree in Health Fitness, Exercise Physiology, or related field. The program prepares students to sit for two of the most nationally recognized fitness certification exams: The National Strength and Conditioning Association - Certified Personal Trainer Exam, and the American College of Sports Medicine - Certified Personal Trainer or Health Fitness Specialist Exam. This program will give the health fitness student the fundamental knowledge of exercise physiology; human anatomy and physiology; biomechanics; prevention and treatment of exerciserelated injuries; CPR, First Aid, and AED readiness skills; health appraisals and assessments; application of fitness principles and strength training; applicable knowledge of nutrition, weight management, stress management, and self-employment; skills in health fitness assessment, as well as designing and leading endurance and strength programs for diverse populations. In addition, upon completion of this associate degree, the health fitness specialist will also have attained the Delta College Personal Trainer Certificate.
Total Semester Credits: 14
Total Semester Credits: 16
Total Semester Credits: 14
Total Semester Credits: 12
Total Semester Credits: 6
- A minimum grade of “C” (2.0 or higher) is required in BIO, HSC, LW, LWA, and LWT courses.
- If you are anticipating pursuing a Baccalaureate Degree BIO 152W and BIO 153W are required for most transfer programs in place of BIO 140W .
LWT 214 , LWT 230 , and LWT 242 are offered in the Fall only. LWT 240 and LWT 255 are offered in the Winter only.
- Current CPR certification is required for LWT 240 , LWT 242 , and LWT 260 . Current CPR certification must be in place and maintained by the start of these courses. American Heart Association is preferred, and this can be achieved in LWT 165 , LWT 170 , or HSC 140 .
- You will be required to take the National Strength and Conditioning (NSCA) Certified Personal Trainer Exam while taking LWT 240 Health Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer.
- You will be required to take the American Council on Exercise (ACE) Group Fitness Instructor Certification Exam while taking LWT 242 Group Fitness Instructor.
- In addition to tuition, fees, and textbook costs, you are responsible for the fees for the NSCA and ACE examinations. You may have to purchase special shoes, shirts, nametags, and provide transportation to all internship sites.
- You need to be aware that internship assignments may be outside the Tri-county area.
- See Graduation Requirements and Michigan Transfer Agreement .