Jan 27, 2022
COM 236W - Advanced Oral CommunicationCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Develops an advanced understanding of theories and strategies in the delivery of oral presentations. Advanced speaking skills are developed from an historical and contemporary rhetorical context. Emphasis is on analyzing and practicing speech discourse conventions, along with advanced information literacy skills as a key to effective delivery of speeches.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 3 AND WRITING LEVEL 3 and “C” or better in COM 112W or COM 202W or permission of instructor
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Define origins of current conventions of effective public speaking.
- Analyze the role of classical writers in the development of standards of speech.
- Analyze classical origins and contemporary theory in current speeches.
- Apply rhetorical theory to analysis and delivery of presentations.
- Demonstrate the ethical responsibilities of a speaker.
- Analyze speaker and audience motives.
- Adapt to the audience in ethical ways.
- Identify unethical communication from audience.
- Address unethical communication from audience.
- Develop content, including researched speeches, to meet audience needs.
- Employ advanced audience analysis strategies.
- Demonstrate advanced information literacy techniques.
- Engage a wide variety of scholarly and mass media sources.
- Demonstrate outlining techniques.
- Use language to synthesize and write speeches.
- Demonstrate advanced skills in the delivery of impromptu, extemporaneous (informative and persuasive researched speeches) and manuscript speeches.
- Demonstrate advanced delivery techniques
- Use a variety of types of visual aids for different contexts.
- Deliver speeches in a variety of settings and in the community.
- Practice techniques for interacting with audience.
- Demonstrate speech self-assessment techniques.
- Practice speech strategies for media interviews.
- Analyze various types of media interviews.
- Practice techniques as an interviewee.
- Practice techniques as an interviewer.
- Practice assessment of video recorded interviews.
- Use writing to promote learning of all of the above Outcomes and Objectives.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)