Oct 20, 2019
MTH 208W - Elementary StatisticsCredits: 3
Studies statistical concepts including frequency distributions, measures of central tendency and dispersion, probability, confidence intervals, hypotheses testing, linear correlation and regression, chi-square, ANOVA. A SPECIFIC GRAPHING CALCULATOR IS REQUIRED.
Prerequisite(s): MATH LEVEL 6; or MTH 099 with READING LEVEL 3 ; or MTH 118W ; or MTH 118AW; or MTH 119W ; or MTH 119AW with a grade of “C” or better; or two years of high school algebra.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Math
Outcomes and Objectives
- Apply standard measures of descriptive statistics.
- Calculate and describe measures of center (mean, median, mode).
- Calculate and describe measures of variation (standard deviation, variance range).
- Graphs (frequency distributions, histograms, stem and leaf plots, box and whisker plots).
- Demonstrate understanding of statistical inference.
- Identify different methods of data collection.
- Calculate and describe basic probability.
- Calculate probability using the binomial distribution, the normal distribution, and the central limit theorem.
- Use correlation and regression to describe relationships between numerical variables.
- Calculate confidence intervals to estimate population averages and proportions.
- Manually perform all of the steps of a hypothesis test for a claim about the population mean.
- Demonstrate understanding of the significant level of a test and the use of p-values in statistical software.
- Determine the appropriate test statistic and make inferences for a variety of models, including single sample mean (large and small sample), proportion and variance, two sample mean and proportion, Chi Square and ANOVA.
- Communicate understanding of statistical concepts in writing.
[Add to Portfolio]