Jan 18, 2022
WELD 220 - Weld Qualification-PlateCredits: 4
Teaches welding safety, welding terms and definitions, welding electronics, and AWS welder performance testing procedures. Includes qualification tests in the 3G and 4G positions as laboratory exercises.
Prerequisite(s): WELD 114W and WELD 235W each with a minimum grade of “C” (2.0)
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 45
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Understand the American Welding Society criteria for the structural welding code.
- Realize the significance of this welding code in manufacturing and industry.
- Identify the primary considerations in the use of this welding code.
- Discuss relationships with other welding codes.
- Demonstrate appropriate safety practices and procedures.
- Realize the value of the use of safety equipment.
- Identify proper protective equipment.
- Apply safety procedurres in all laboratory activities.
- Demonstrate appropriate equipment operation.
- Realize the importance of proper equipment set-up.
- Apply proper procedures when setting up equipment.
- Develop, read, and follow a welding specification/procedure document.
- Realize the importance of following the procedure.
- Define and explain appropriate welding terms.
- Apply the procedure when making a specific weld.
- Demonstrate proper techniques to complete a 3G and 4G weld on carbon steel plate.
- Realize the value of proper body positioning, visual factors, material prep and positioning, and tacking.
- Apply tack welds, root passes, filler passes, and cover passes in accordance with AWS D1.1 standards.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)