Jan 26, 2022
LWA 154W - BOSU Ball TrainingCredits: 1
Introduces fitness training concepts utilizing a BOSU ball. Presents training methods for improving muscle strength, endurance, balance, agility, and flexibility. Presents, develops, and practices BOSU ball activities that provide cardiorespiratory benefits and improved body composition. Pre- and post-fitness assessments will also be performed and results will be explained.
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 15
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Describe and explain the concepts and components of fitness and wellness.
- Describe and explain the five health-related components of fitness and give examples of activities that, when performed, meet the criteria for improving each component.
- Describe and explain the relationship of cardiac output and stroke volume to cardiorespiratory endurance activities.
- List the six essential nutrients, the caloric value and food sources of each, and the relationship of each nutrient to the Food Guide Pyramid.
- Recognize various myths associated with health and fitness.
- Identify the following large muscle groups and give examples of strengthening and stretching exercises for each: Quadricep, Hamstring, bicep, Tricep, Pectorals, latisimus dorsi, Rectus Abdominus, Gastrocnemius, Gluteus Maximus, and Deltoid.
- Recognize how muscle use and disuse influence atrophy and hypertrophy.
- Define and describe muscular strength and muscular endurance; differentiate between training principles for each.
- Describe and explain the concept of a warm-up and cool-down as they relate to physical activity.
- Define and describe BOSU ball training terminology.
- List and describe the skill related components of fitness and explain how BOSU ball training can enhance each.
- Demonstrate the concepts and components of BOSU ball training.
- Demonstrate various BOSU ball training exercises using safe and effective techniques.
- Demonstrate how to determine, monitor, and calculate exercise heart rates and training zones.
- Select the appropriate size of a BOSU ball that will allow maximum versatility of exercises.
- Demonstrate a two-minute dynamic warm-up.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)