Jan 18, 2022
COM 112W - Fundamentals of Oral CommunicationCredits: 3
Offers skill development in the fundamental processes of public speaking. Practices the basic principles, components, and skills for the development and delivery of presentations in specific communication situations.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the communication process.
- Distinguish the elements in the communication process.
- Describe diversity and the need to adapt to diverse communication styles.
- Distinguish the differences between various speech presentations. 1. Informative 2. Persuasive 3. Manuscript 4. Impromptu 5. Extemporaneous
- Differentiate the lines of communication. 1. Intrapersonal 2. Interpersonal 3. Group 4. Public 5. Mass communication
- Apply research principles to informative and persuasive speeches.
- Assess knowledge of the topic and the suitability of the topic for the speaking occasion.
- Analyze audience demographics, interests, attitudes, and knowledge of topic.
- Develop research strategy.
- Access research information from a variety of credible sources.
- Evaluate research information.
- Organize information
- Demonstrate outlining techniques in speeches, including informative and persuasive research speeches.
- Arrange the outline using appropriate format.
- Organize the introduction.
- Organize the body.
- Cite research sources within the outline.
- Organize the conclusion.
- Arrange the bibliography using appropriate format.
- Demonstrate outlining in multiple speeches, including informative and persuasive research speeches.
- Employ presentation delivery techniques in multiple speeches, including informative and persuasive.
- Demonstrate use of language.
- Demonstrate use of verbal source citations.
- Demonstrate use of voice.
- Demonstrate use of eye contact.
- Demonstrate facial expressions and gestures.
- Demonstrate use of posture.
- Demonstrate use of visual aids to illustrate and reinforce message.
- Demonstrate delivery techniques in multiple speeches, including informative and persuasive speeches.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the listening process.
- Describe the listening process.
- Examine listening obstacles from both speaker and listener perspective.
- Employ listening skills and speaker strategies to promote listening.
- Demonstrate ability to listen to and respond to audience feedback.
- Use writing to promote learning of all of the above Outcomes and Objectives.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)