Apr 23, 2018
ART 255W - Contemporary Art HistoryCredits: 3
Examines Contemporary Art using contemporary theoretical methods. Engages in readings, discussions, and written analysis of globally recognized artists, artworks, and stylistic trends.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 3 and WRITING LEVEL 3; or any ENG Composition I course with a grade of “C” or higher; or ART 152W with a grade of “C” or higher.
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: Humanities
Outcomes and Objectives
- Identify art historically relevant styles and artworks from contemporary global culture.
- Classify specific contemporary artists and artworks into relevant stylitic trends or movements
- Use relevant art historical vocabulary in discussion of contemporary art.
- Describe contemporary artworks
- Analyze contemporary artworks employing contemporary theoretical analytic methods such as: formalism, iconography, Marxism, feminism, biography, semiology, deconstuction, and psychoanalysis
- Construct various effective written analysis of contemporary images
- Employ formalist, iconographic, Marxist, feminist, biographical, semiological, deconstructive, and psychoanalytic methodologies in written analysis of contemporary artworks
[Add to Portfolio]