Apr 18, 2019
ACE 101W - Career Professional Development ICredits: 2
Introduces planning and goal setting. Provides opportunities for team building. Practices skills essential in the workplace. Introduces employment portfolio to manage academic and career information. Evaluates the student in a program-related, supervised worksite.
Prerequisite(s): Must be employed in a major-related position, and have completed the program application process in the Office of Academic Career Experience (Cooperative Education) and Service Learning.
Lecture Hours: 30 Lab Hours: 180
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Develop Academic Career Experience course plan and set goals.
- Establish workplace and educational goals.
- Demonstrate good attendance and punctuality.
- Begin development of an employment portfolio.
- Write a cover letter.
- Revise resume.
- Demonstrate confidence in presenting a professional image.
- Display appropriate dress and grooming for the respective worksite.
- Practice presenting professional credentials.
- Reflects through writing the experiences that build confidence and exemplify personal discovery.
- Demonstrate favorable work ethics.
- Analyze personal choices and responsibilities as they pertain to the workplace.
- Uphold organizational image in and out of the workplace setting.
- Cooperate within a team.
- Analyze prior teamwork experience.
- Infer meaning and course of action based on prior experience.
- Apply team-building skills to situations in the workplace.
- Assume the role of team member and contribute to team goals.
- Perform writing tasks to promote learning of concepts.
- Document attainment of skills learned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the subject.
- Manage stress through structured planning.
- Practice prioritizing workload.
- Arrange tasks according to priority rank.
- Divide tasks into smaller components and track progress of each component.
- Align work, educational and personal schedules to effectively meet goals.
- Track assignments, projects and job tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Integrate into the organizational culture.
- Exemplify organizational values.
- Participate in organizational mission.
- Align workplace behaviors with organizational policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of essential skills for success in chosen career.
- Identify essential skills necessary for career success.
- Compare one's own soft skills with requirements of job objective(s).
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional communication in the workplace.
- Identify professional workplace communication.
- Practice effective communication in the workplace.
[Add to Portfolio]