Sep 17, 2021
ABS 110 - Mindset for Success
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Develops perseverance and determination of an entrepreneurial mindset at the onset of the academic journey. Empowers ownership of the future while helping to develop the attitudes, skills, and behaviors that enable success in college and in life. Draws upon the experiences of successful entrepreneurs and students to examine eight fundamental concepts of an entrepreneurial mindset. Credit may be earned in ABS 110 or ENT 110 but not in more than one.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 2 AND WRITING LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Outcomes and Objectives
- Identify characteristics that support long-term goals.
- Distinguish a reaction from a response
- Recognize an internal locus of control
- Differentiate between spending and investing time
- Design goals to reach visions
- Create a vision statement to guide plans
- Examine issues from a problem-solving perspective.
- Reconstruct a problem into a potential opportunity
- Create value by solving problems for others
- Identify aspects of a victim mindset and break these thought patterns
- Interpret setbacks and failures as opportunities for growth
- Develop a ratio plan to test ideas in real-world circumstances.
- Apply the concept of action to college careers
- Design methods to make work meaningful and enjoyable
- Overcome barriers such as inertia, procrastination and fear
- Develop an action plan to test ideas in real-world circumstances
- Develop lifelong learning skills.
- Recognize the importance of knowledge in pursuing goals
- Understand how the brain learns new information to master certain skills
- Differentiate among different methods of learning
- Experiment as a means of learning new information
- Develop creative and divergent solutions to existing problems
- Understand the importance of lifelong learning
- Apply existing resources to advance plans.
- Recognize the importance of resourcefulness in pursuing goals
- Develop the courage to ask for assistance when needed
- Identify methods for using time wisely
- Establish mentoring relationships with personal networks
- Identify campus resources available to students
- Distinguish between the appearance of wealth and true wealth
- Evaluate the importance of delayed gratification
- Practice methods that foster reliability.
- Recognize the relationship between reliability and creating value for others
- Create a positive personal brand built on reliability and professionalism
- Distinguish among various styles of communication
- Recognize and interpret nonverbal communication
- Recognize that one must take action and deliver on promises
- Identify a support network.
- Recognize how social influence impacts one's life
- Identify ways in which people conform to the attitudes and behaviors of others
- Differentiate between the positive and negative influences in one’s life
- Create a positive support network of family, friends and role models
- Design a way to create value in local and global communities
- Develop strategies for overcoming adversity in order to persist in accomplishing goals.
- Recognize the importance of persistence in reaching one’s goals
- Identify and overcome learning helplessness
- Distinguish between extrinsic and intrinsic rewards
- Identify the means to achieve personal well-being
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)