Dec 08, 2021
LWA 158 - PilatesCredits: 1
Instructional Contact Hours: 2
Provides total body strengthening, stretching, and conditioning through Pilates-based mat work to achieve overall fitness and improved health. Focuses on the attainment of core strength in the abdomen and trunk. Includes specific exercises concentrating on the use of breathing patterns to help control movement, and visual imagery to engage the mind and body together.
Lecture Hours: 15 Lab Hours: 15
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the health-related components of fitness as they relate to wellness.
- Identify activities and criteria that meet the FITT principle for each component.
- Explore how the FITT principles of the five health-related components of fitness can impact student's overall wellness.
- Describe how the health-related components of fitness impact chronic disease risk.
- Demonstrate an understanding of healthy nutrition.
- List all macronutrients along with their caloric values, healthy food sources, relationship to healthy diet, and roles in the body.
- Explain the importance of micronutrients and their role in a healthy diet.
- Demonstrate an ability to think critically about nutritional claims and differentiate myth from fact.
- Demonstrate knowledge of major muscle groups.
- Identify the location of the major muscles groups.
- Give examples of exercises to strengthen the major muscle groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding of heart rate training.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate resting heart rates, exercise heart rates, and training zones.
- Explain how the training zones impact cardiovascular training principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the dimensions of wellness.
- Identify and define the dimensions of wellness.
- Explain, with examples from their lives, what contributes to or detracts from the various dimensions of wellness.
- Demonstrate various Pilates training exercises using safe and proper technique as a means to improving fitness.
- Describe the importance of a warm-up and cool-down.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various Pilates training programs and principles.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)