Nov 30, 2020
MGT 145 - Principles of SalesCredits: 3
Instructional Contact Hours: 3
Emphasizes the marketing concept and the importance of personal selling for those engaged in the marketing of products, services or ideas. Includes an analysis of the steps in a sales proposal. Classroom presentations by students required.
Prerequisite(s): READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2
Lecture Hours: 45 Lab Hours: 0
Meets MTA Requirement: None
Outcomes and Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal selling and the marketing concept.
- Describe the contributions of personal selling to the global economy.
- Define personal selling and discuss personal selling as an extension of the marketing concept.
- Describe the evolution of consultative style selling from the marketing era to the present.
- Define strategic selling.
- Define partnering and discuss how it relates to the quality improvement process.
- Describe the personal benefits that can be derived from developing the skill of selling.
- Discuss why ethical considerations are important in personal selling.
- Be aware of career opportunities in selling today.
- Discuss the rewarding aspects of personal selling careers.
- Describe the opportunities for women and minorities in the field of personal selling.
- List the characteristics of selling positions in the areas of service, retailing, wholesaling, and manufacturing.
- Describe the work environment of four persons employed in the field of personal selling.
- Discuss personal selling as an auxiliary activity.
- Identify the four major sources of sales training.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the factors influencing the relationship- building process.
- Explain the importance of developing a relationship strategy.
- Define partnering and describe the partnering relationship.
- List the four key groups with which the salesperson needs to develop relationship strategies.
- Discuss how self image forms the foundation for building long-term selling relationships.
- Describe the importance of a double-win relationship.
- Identify and describe the major nonverbal factors that shape our sales image.
- Define surface language and discuss three keys to appropriate dress.
- Discuss how voice quality and good manners can affect relationships.
- Describe conversational strategies that help us establish relationships.
- Explain how to establish a self-improvement plan based on personal development strategies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how product information is acquired.
- Explain the importance of developing a product strategy.
- Identify reasons why salespeople and customers benefit from thorough product knowledge.
- Discuss the most important kinds of product and company information that should be acquired by salespeople.
- Describe how knowledge of competition improves personal selling.
- List major sources of product information.
- Explain the difference between product features and buyer benefits.
- Demonstrate how to translate product features into buyer benefits.
- Demonstrate an understanding of buyer behavior.
- Discuss the meaning of a customer strategy.
- Explain the complex nature of customer behavior.
- Discuss the social and psychological influences that shape customer buying decisions.
- Discuss the power of perception in shaping buying behavior.
- Distinguish among different types of buying motives.
- Distinguish between patronage and product buying motives.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to develop a prospect base.
- Discuss the importance of developing a prospect base.
- Identify and assess important sources of prospects.
- List criteria for qualifying prospects.
- Explain how to organize your prospect information.
- Describe the steps in developing a prospecting and sales forecasting plan.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to approach the customer.
- Discuss the basic steps of the preapproach.
- Explain how to effectively approach the customer.
- Name five ways to convert the prospect's attention and arouse interest.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to create the consultative sales presentation.
- Describe the characteristics of the consultative sales presentation.
- Explain how to determine the prospects needs.
- Discuss the use of questions to determine needs.
- Select products that match customer needs.
- Present general guidelines for developing effective presentations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to custom fit the sales
- Discuss the important advantages of the sales demonstration.
- Explain the guidelines to be followed when planning a sales demonstration.
- Be able to complete a demonstration worksheet.
- Develop selling tools that can strengthen your sales presentation.
- Discuss how to use audiovisual presentations effectively.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to negotiate buyer resistance.
- Describe common types of buyer resistance.
- Outline general strategies for negotiating buyer resistance.
- Discuss specific methods of negotiation buyer resistance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to close and confirm the sale.
- Describe the proper attitude to display towards closing the sale.
- List and discuss selected guidelines for closing the sale.
- Explain how to recognize closing clues.
- Discuss selected methods of closing the sale.
- Demonstrate an understanding of what is involved in servicing the sale.
- Discuss the importance of servicing the sale.
- Explain how customer service can stimulate repeat business and referrals.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)